Interior

Alissa + Jeb’s Home

Photography is by Kristy Lumsden (new site coming soon!)

I was so excited when we were finally able to set a time up to visit Alissa and Jeb’s lovely home in Lawrenceville. Their home is in the 48th street rowhouse I posted a few weeks ago. The architecture and interior help was by moss architects and Botero Development is responsible for all the hard work that was put into the rowhouse to make it beautiful and livable.

When you walk in, their home has a very warm, contemporary and rustic feel to it. What I noticed right away in their space is the artwork, patterns and wood everywhere. It all goes well together and makes you feel like you want to move in!

Television sets are the first thing I notice when I walk into a room, only because they never blend in and some people love their big screen tv’s! This is where their television is hidden in a creative way. The wooden cabinet was built by Wade Caruso.

Alissa gives us a little insight to the inspiration for their space: “We’re inspired by travel and wanderlust, nature and animals, a love of color and textiles, and an appreciation for the uncommon and all things handmade. Our home is illuminated by the presence of books, music, flickering candles, and sleeping dogs.”

Alissa: I’m also obsessed with lighting and the mood it evokes when done well.  Most of our lighting fixtures are outfitted with Edison-Style lightbulbs (equipped with dimmers, of course.)

Alissa: The majority of our art collection is comprised of work by Pittsburgh-based artists.  Often jokingly called “The Paris of Appalachia.” Pittsburgh is rich with amazing art, architecture and a vibrant cultural scene. Our art is a reminder of how lucky we are to live in a city brimming with creativity and reinvention.”

Their biggest Indulgence:  Our built-in bookcases constructed of reclaimed wood made by a local friend and craftsman Wade Caruso.  We’re in awe of them and they prove to provide a beautiful backdrop for our beloved book collection.

Poster was created by Thommy Conroy

Advice: I’m a firm believer that kitchens should be bright, playful and whimsical. The kitchen is the heart of the home and therefore shouldn’t be too stuffy or serious.

I’m a fan of the simple subway tile on the kitchen walls and the use of the open shelves.

Alissa:Another splurge was the tile used in our powder room and guest bath. The tiles were hand-screen-printed by award winning UK textile designer Dominic Crinson

Alissa: Our staircase was constructed from new oak, but felt out of place, so we stained the oak a dark walnut color to match some of the darker, richer elements in the home.

The record player is from the set of “The Perks of Being a Wallflower!”

I want to thank both Alissa and Jeb for having us over and letting us take a peek into their lovely home. Alissa is the owner of Pavement in Lawrenceville which has been in the neighborhood since 2006!

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

Jennie
    April 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM

So. Gorgeous. In awe.

Nice shots of the space!

Julia Gongaware
    April 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

great house! really great house.

any more scoop on the artwork with the dog? is that a mural?

Julie G.
    April 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Gorgeous! Gives me hope that someday when my renovation is finished I will have an equally nice home. Pittsburgh rocks!

Demolition started Monday: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20550177@N03/sets/72157631908770579/

Liz
    April 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Wow, Alissa, I love your home. Is that mural a Thommy Conroy? It looks great there.

alissa martin
      April 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM

yep, the dog mural is by Thommy Conroy. The painting was in brillobox for a couple of years. Thommy custom-built a frame for us to fit our dining area wall.

Paul Schifino
    April 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

What a great showcase for another beautiful Lawrenceville treasure. Great work, one and all!

Lauren
    April 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

This home is completely adorable! I love every aspect of it and particularly the attention to detail and built-ins by Wade Caruso. A lot of incredible talent and creativity went into this.

Angela
    April 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM

This is absolutely beautiful! My workplace is on 48th street in Lawrenceville. You are our neighbors!

Quelcy
    April 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I’m envious of how well they straddle eclectic and refined/minimal. This was an awesome tour!

Patrick
    April 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

What’s the point of leaving the joists exposed? I would have closed them up, installed recessed lighting, and added some insulation as a sound barrier. Also, why isn’t there a single family or personal photo in the entire house? Makes me wonder if people even live in the house or if west elm just throw up in there.

Mundania Horvath
      April 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Hey Patrick, people do things differently, I don’t have personal photos around my house, I have artwork and prints and it’s my choice. Also if they have personal photos, I didn’t feel like posting it on here, it’s my choice on what to put on this site. What is the point of leaving a shitty comment about what photos they have or leaving their joists exposed!

Carrie
    April 7, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Every inch of this house feels personal and warm and home-like, I can attest to that in person! I love the way they’ve been able to incorporate artwork or handcrafted functional pieces from so many local people. In reference to previous comments, their home is quite cozy and quiet (for an attached row home) with the exposed joists and also has a lot of personal mementos, and even paintings, of family, maybe they didn’t want those published online. Great photos, Steeltown Anthem!

Mundania Horvath
      April 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Thanks Carrie, I agree with you, their home is lovely and very warm. I got that feeling as soon as I walked in! I can’t take all the credit for the photos, these were all done by Kristy Lumsden!

Jake
    June 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Came for the house, stayed for the awesome old dogs.

Mala
    August 6, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Alissa- may I ask where you bought the open shelving for your kitchen? I’m looking to have something similar installed in our new kitchen. Thanks!