Architecture Neighborhoods

Along Beechwood Blvd.

One of my favorite streets to look at houses is along Beechwood Blvd. I take this road when I’m heading over to Regent Square. Beechwood is a very scenic and quiet street that runs parallel to Shady Ave.

Last fall we were walking around with a Holga camera and decided to take some photos of a few homes that stood out to us. I thought it would it would interesting to see how some of the photos would turn out. Digital is very instant and film is not. There was a few rolls involved in this shoot and Kristy picked a handful of the best shots. It’s a very hit or miss process which makes it interesting.

I tend to lean more towards modern architecture but the great thing about this street is there is there is a nice mix homes that would appeal to everyone’s taste.

It was a long process but I really loved the way the photos came out almost ghost like. I wish film was much easier to deal with but there are a lot of steps that go into it.
…………………………………………………………………………………..
Photos taken by Kristy Lumsden

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

Adaena
    February 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I love this stretch of road too 🙂 Glad you were able to capture and share some of Pittsburgh’s unique architecture.

W. D. Orkoskey
    February 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM

That 5th photo is my favorite – I LOVE that house! I like to bike along Beechwood in the summer from 5th Ave to Greenfield and back. The modern homes are great because none of them go overboard, they’re functional and fit well with the traditional homes.

reconstructingideas
      February 15, 2011 at 10:16 AM

It’s funny, we took a lot more photos of a few other homes but some of them didn’t turn out. Film is awesome but unpredictable! I do love that the modern homes blend in with the much bigger ones. It’s a good mix!

Steph Armbruster
    February 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Love these photos! Looking forward to warm weather!

Veronica Varos
    February 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM

That is my favorite road in all of Pittsburgh. The houses are fabulous and you picked just a few of the best to photograph!

Great photos! They look so vintage. Holgas are so great!

Joseph Morgano
    February 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Wonderful piece… Really great photos!

Chrissy
    November 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Oh! Thank you for this – moved from Beechwood (the neighborhood) when I was in 10th grade (1983) and there’s so much I miss about Pgh. Beechwood Ave’s totally one of them. A few weird conversions that I don’t remember, but yes! Such a great hidden gem.